Skip to main content
Landmark Old Fire Tower (Guardian of the Gulch)
Overview Service & Activities
Overview Service & Activities
About The Old Fire Tower, called Guardian of the Gulch, is an official city landmark. This twenty-five foot fire tower was built in 1876 after a huge fire destroyed the downtown area. The octagonal cab was added in 1886 and last used in 1931. The Guardian of the Gulch was manned around the clock to keep watch over the city. If a fire was spotted, the alarm was sounded to alert the town to begin fighting a fire. The Guardian is the last remaining tower of the many that once existed in Helena. In fact it is one of only five of its kind left standing in the United States. A hiking trail up to the tower is found off Cruse Avenue just across Broadway. A number of planting projects and weed control programs have created a hillside park for picnicking. The view from the hill encompasses Helena and the surrounding Scapegoat, Little Belt, and Sleeping Giant mountain ranges.
Contact
MAILING ADDRESS 225 Cruse, Suite A
Helena, MT 59601
CONTACT 406-442-4120
FAX 406-447-1532
Details
SPECIAL DIRECTIONS The ‘Guardian of the Gulch', Helena's Fire Tower, is located south of the downtown area in Helena.
SERVICES
ACTIVITIES History Nature

See what's nearby

Filter:
Show All
Where To Stay
Things To Do
Food And Drink
Grid View
List View

1+1=1 Gallery

Art Gallery
Helena, MT

4-R Ranch & Cattle Company

Working Ranch
Clancy, MT

7R Guest Ranch

Guest Ranch
Wolf Creek, MT

A.L. Swanson Craftsman Studios

Art Gallery
Helena, MT

Alamo/National Car Rental

Car Rental
Helena, MT

Alhambra RV Park

Private Campground
Clancy, MT

Archie Bray Foundation for the Ceramic Arts

Art Gallery
Helena, MT

Avon

City

Avon Family Cafe

Family Restaurant
Avon, MT