The Brand Bar Museum is in the Town Square of Ovando, Montana, in the heart of the Blackfoot Valley. It is near what was once the Cokalahiskit Trail, now a part of the Lewis and Clark Trail on Highway 200.
Being representative of rural, small town Montana, the museum is always ready for visitors. However, there isn't always a museum attendant present. In that case, walk across the street and someone from the Blackfoot Commercial Company or the Blackfoot Angler will find a key to open the door for you.
The Brand Bar Museum houses a collection of local memorabilia, stories of our settlers, homestead maps, and information reminiscent of Ovando's past. The museum's earlier history is quite colorful, being situated in the heart of Ovando. In 1897 it was a saloon owned by Henry Dixon and Charlie Young who called it the 'Bucket of Blood'. From them it passed onto the Barbie's hands and renamed the 'Double Diamond'. Bud Beard claimed it next in the 1930s and called it the Brand Bar Saloon; where in its original location currently is the Brand Bar Museum. In the 1950s the Brand Bar became Trixi's and she relocated it to Highway 200, its present location, to allow for more room. We now have a Hoosegow, also known as a jail for visitors. Camping on the lawn or sleeping on a bunk in the jail.
Bring a picnic to enjoy under the big trees in the museum park, and plan time to stroll through all four of the town's businesses. Meals are available, as are gas, groceries and lodging.
314 Main Street
Ovando, MT 59854