The Ninemile Historic Remount Depot introduces the public to a historic and working Ranger Station. The Visitor Center has information about the pack animals and firefighters that worked the Northern Rockies during the 1920s and 1940s, and is open during the summer, Memorial Day to Labor Day. Tours of the Remount can be arranged here. The District Office is open all year.
From the destruction of forest and life in early fires came experimentation for new tools and methods for fighting fires. In 1930 the Forest Service secured a lease of the Ninemile Property to set up a central depot to supply pack stock, to serve as a training base for packers and to standardize packing practices in the forests.
In 1933 the Ninemile CCC Camp was organized giving work to 600 men who built the buildings, fences, pastures, roads, irrigation systems and served as fire fighting crews in the forests.
In 1953 the Remount Depot was closed due to less work for mules because of an expanding road network and increased effectiveness of smoke jumpers. In 1954 the facilities were incorporated into the Ninemile Ranger District and in 1980 the Ranger Station & Depot were listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Today, horses and mules continue to ply the mountain trails transporting the people and equipment necessary for managing our wilderness and back country resources.