The Crow Reservation is in south central Montana, bordered by Wyoming on the south, with its northwestern boundary about 10 miles from Billings.
About 75 percent of the Crow tribe's approximately 10,000 or more enrolled members live on or near the reservation. Eighty-five percent speak Crow as their first language. This tribe was called "Apsaalooke," which means "children of the large-beaked bird." White men later misinterpreted the word as "crow." Chief Plenty Coups was the last chief to gain that status in the traditional Crow manner. He lived until 1932, leaving his land and home as a park for all people.
For many years the vast coal deposits under the eastern portion of the reservation remained untapped. One mine is now in operation and providing royalty income and employment to tribal members. The Crow operate only a small portion of their irrigated or dry farm acreage and about 30 percent of their grazing land. They maintain a buffalo herd of 300 head.
POINTS OF INTEREST
BIGHORN CANYON NATIONAL RECREATION AREA AND YELLOWTAIL DAM
Bighorn Canyon features spectacular scenery, wildlife viewing, boating, fishing and camping. On the Montana side, there is one visitor center at Yellowtail Dam.
- Address (Visitor Center): Route 210, Fort Smith, MT 59035
- Phone: 307.548.5406 / 406.666.2412
- Website: https://www.nps.gov/bica/index.htm
LITTLE BIGHORN BATTLEFIELD NATIONAL MONUMENT & RENO-BENTEEN BATTLEFIELD
These monuments commemorate the Sioux/Cheyenne victory over the Seventh Cavalry. The Little Bighorn Battlefield National Monument features museum exhibits, an interpretive center and ranger-led programs.
- Directions: Interstate I-90, Crow Agency Exit 510 at Jct 212, Battlefield Tour Road 756
- Phone: 406.638.3216
- Website: https://www.nps.gov/libi/index.htm
CHIEF PLENTY COUPS STATE PARK
Chief Plenty Coups State Park is the home and grave site of the well-known Crow Chief, Plenty Coups. His home is a National Historic Landmark and the park also includes a visitor center and large scenic picnic area.
- Address: 1 Pryor Rd, Pryor, MT 59066
- Phone: 406.252.1289
- Website: https://fwp.mt.gov/chief-plenty-coups
LITTLE BIG HORN COLLEGE
Little Big Horn College is a public, two-year community college chartered by the Crow Tribe.
- Address: 8645 South Weaver Drive, Crow Agency, MT 59022
- Phone: 406.638.3104
- Website: http://www.lbhc.edu/
CROW TRIBAL EXECUTIVE BRANCH
- Mailing Address: PO Box 159 Crow Agency, MT 59022
- Phone: 406.638.1447
- Fax: 406.638.3881
- Website: http://www.crow-nsn.gov/
Battle of the Little Bighorn Reenactment
- June 24-26, 2022